Tax Litigation Practice Group Leaders:
Chair: Jenny P. Mboutsiadis, Fasken Martineau DuMoulin LLP (Toronto)
Vice-Chair: Marie-France Dompierre, Davies Ward Phillips & Vineberg LLP (Montreal)
Secretary: John Sorensen, Gowling WLG (Canada) LLP (Toronto)
Member-at-Large: Suzanie Chua, Department of Justice (Ottawa)
Member-at-Large: E. Rebecca Potter, Thorsteinssons LLP (Toronto)
Member-at-Large: Bhuvana Rai, EY Law LLP (Ottawa)
Jenny P. Mboutsiadis, Fasken (Toronto)
Hosted by the Tax Litigation Practice Group
Join us for a conversation with the The Honourable Justice Don R. Sommerfeldt of the Tax Court of Canada, tax practitioners from the Department of Justice, and members of the private bar who will offer insights into best practices in drafting a Notice of Appeal, a Reply, and an Answer.
Topics will include:
- The role of pleadings
- Proper drafting (and crafting) of a Notice of Appeal
- Preparing the Reply, the role of assumptions, and pleading additional material facts
- The role of an Answer and what to put in it
- The distinctions between pleading facts vs. evidence vs. conclusions of law or mixed fact and law
- The importance of admissions
- Pleading in the alternative
- The distinction between pleading "deny" vs. "no knowledge"
- Amending pleadings and withdrawing admissions
*Due to current concerns with COVID-19, we will be offering this program fully remotely via webcast only.
Please review the system requirements to view a Zoom event here.