Brian Gover, Stockwoods LLP
Deborah Templer, McCarthy Tétrault
Have you wondered what it's like to act for David against Goliath? Or to defend a position that is either loved, hated, or both? To be in the eye of a media storm?
In today’s media landscape, you may find yourself and your client thrust unexpectedly in the spotlight. Join us to hear our national faculty of lawyers and judges share their personal experiences with litigating polarizing issues, taking difficult positions and dealing with public scrutiny.
Our Faculty have acted in a wide range of high profile cases including:
- Bringing a Mareva injunction to freeze assets of the those affiliated with the Freedom Convoy
- Representing Rogers Communication Inc.'s Chairman, in relation to a dispute over control over the company
- Representing Canadian fashion mogul Peter Nygard on charges on sexual assault
- Challenging systemic racism in sentencing in Ontario
- Defending class actions for the Attorney General of Canada
And you don't want to miss A View From the Bench
, to hear from The Honourable Chief Justice Glenn D. Joyal, Manitoba Court of Queen’s Bench
, who was himself the subject of surveillance by a litigant, The Honourable Associate Chief Justice Heather J. Holmes, Supreme Court of British Columbia
, who presided over the extradition proceedings in relation to Meng Wanzhou, and The Honourable Justice Anne Molloy who presided over the Yonge Street van attack trial.
You will learn:
- How to navigate the challenges of taking a polarizing or unpopular position
- To understand your duty to the client
- Best practices for handling the press and social media
- Tips to overcome the emotional drain of polarizing litigation
Register today for this unique program, and learn how to navigate polarized litigation from some of Canada's finest litigators and judges.
Registration includes educational materials, which will be provided prior to the program. Registration also includes access to the live webcast recording for 30 days from the date the link is sent to you.
*Due to current concerns with COVID-19, we will be offering this program fully remotely via webcast only.
Please review the system requirements to view a Zoom webinar here.