Appellate Advocacy Practice Group Leaders:
Co-Chair: Andrew Bernstein, Torys LLP (Toronto)
Co-Chair: Shantona Chaudhury, Pape Chaudhury LLP (Toronto)
Secretary: Lauren Jane Wihak, McDougall Gauley LLP (Regina)
Member-at-Large: Gerald Chan, Stockwoods LLP (Toronto)
Member-at-Large: Deborah Krick, Ministry of the Attorney General Crown Law Office- Criminal (Toronto)
Member-at-Large: Caroline Senini, Peck and Company (Vancouver)
Hosted by the Appellate Advocacy Practice Group
Writing a factum may be the most important step in an appeal, but the most high-pressure step for counsel is often the oral argument. We have assembled an experienced panel of appellate judges to tell us what to do and what not to do in the (usually brief) time you have to make a lasting impression in oral argument.
You will learn:
- The do's and don'ts of oral argument
- How to decide what should be in your oral argument
- How to prepare for an oral argument as an appellant, and how it’s different to prepare as a respondent
- Compelling openings for your oral argument
- Effective techniques for answering questions
- Strategies for sharing argument with a junior or senior counsel
Registration includes educational materials, which will be provided prior to the program. Registration also includes access to the live webcast recording for 30 days from the date the link is sent to you.
*This program will be delivered nationally online.
Please review the system requirements to view a Zoom webinar here.