Community & Events
“This Society will provide a convenient place where barristers, junior and senior, can meet at all times on common ground and where problems and topics, not only legal, but of national concern, may be discussed. Out of this Society, I trust, will grow a powerful group of barristers, which will act as a body to give effect to the ideals of liberty and justice for which it stands.” Isadore Levinter, Q.C.
The Advocates’ Society was created to connect advocates with their peers and we make it easy – both locally and across the country – for our members to share skills or learn new ones, shape the future of the profession and socialize in fun and informal settings. We offer a variety of ways for advocates of all vintages and practice areas to get involved and stay connected:
- Share your knowledge, catch up on the latest practice updates and attend panel discussions with leading practitioners with our Practice Groups
- Meet in person or online
- Choose from 13 Practice Groups, including Class Actions, Criminal Law, Family Law, Estates Litigation and Mediation/Arbitration
Be a Mentor/Find a Mentor
- Experienced advocates are encouraged to opt-in to be a mentor on our on-line mentoring portal. Making yourself available to mentor is just a click away on your member profile page. Or participate in one of our organized mentoring events, including Mentoring Dinners, Advocacy Skills Workshops, Fireside Chats and marquee conferences with mentoring round tables.
- Young advocates can tap into our network of seasoned mentors for valuable guidance and advice.
Socialize and Network
- Connect with the bench and bar outside the courtroom and classroom at our fabulous social events – from casual pub nights with your peers to marquee, destination conferences with senior members of the bar.
- Young advocates and law school students can learn and build their careers together at programs and events developed just for them.
- Become part of a growing community of like-minded advocates. Members are encouraged to opt-in to our on-line Member Directory and make themselves accessible to their fellow members
Help us Celebrate Excellence in Advocacy
Members of The Advocates’ Society are, and always have been, leaders in their profession – both inside and outside the courtroom. Our awards recognize the very best.
Help us Give Back
Each year, The Advocates’ Society chooses a different charitable cause – at home or abroad – and works to raise much-needed funds in support of its efforts through TAS Gives Back. Giving back is a rich and time-honoured tradition at TAS, and we encourage all our members to participate to the fullest extent possible.