Sandra L. Barton, Gowling WLG
Tom Curry, Lenczner Slaght
Discoveries are high-stakes advocacy. An effective discovery will help you optimize settlement or strengthen your case for trial. Don’t leave your discovery skills to chance.
In this highly-anticipated new Building Block series on discoveries, seasoned litigators and judges will break down their most effective discovery techniques over four sessions, providing you with the tools, tips and strategies you need to get the most out of your next discovery.
Developed by renowned litigators Sandra Barton and Tom Curry – both recipients of TAS's Excellence in Teaching Award - and in consultation with members of our Young Advocates’ Standing Committee, this interactive and practical series will help take your discovery skills to the next level.
What is the Building Block Series?
At TAS, our focus has always been on you - the learner. That’s why we've created the Building Block Series, a more comprehensive and targeted way for you to hone your advocacy skills.
Delivered in 4 'blocks' over the course of 4 months, this series will provide you with a concentrated and interactive learning experience. Each block will build on the preceding block in a series of focused and progressive sessions on examinations for discovery.
Building Block Series participants will benefit from:
- Intensive instruction on a single core advocacy skill, delivered in targeted sessions over several months
- Engaging panel discussions with leaders of the Bench and Bar
- Lively demonstrations and commentary
- Peer to peer learning in small group breakout sessions that encourages critical thinking and active participation
- Individualized feedback from TAS-trained skills instructors in signature TAS learning-by-doing workshops
- Comprehensive program materials, including a realistic casefile that will run through all four sessions to help you apply your knowledge
- 30 day access to recorded plenary sessions (small group breakout sessions and skills workshops will not be recorded)
In order to obtain maximum benefit from the series and to take advantage of our special bundle rate, we highly recommended that participants register for all four sessions. Single session registration is also available for Blocks 1, 2 and 4.
Click here to register for all 4 sessions at our special bundle rate
Block 1: Theory, Strategy and Preparation (Plenary Session)
Friday, October 22, 2021
Block 2: Discovery Questions and Techniques (Plenary Session)
Tuesday, November 16, 2021
Block 3: Conducting an Effective Discovery (Skills Workshop)
Tuesday, December 14, 2021
Block 4: Using Discovery Transcripts at Trial (Plenary + Skills Session)
Thursday, January 20, 2022
Book by December 3
to take advantage of our special bundle rate.**
Registration includes program materials, which will be provided prior to each session. Registration also includes access to the live webcast recording for 30 days from the date the link is sent to you. Please note that small group breakout sessions and skills workshops will not be recorded.
*Due to current concerns with COVID-19, we will be offering this program fully remotely via webcast only.
**Registrants who take advantage of the bundle rate after the start of the series will be provided with access to the relevant video-recording(s).
Please review the system requirements to view a Zoom webinar here.